Wednesday, June 12, 2019

Will We or Won't We? Oh, and We're Still in Greece, and Oh, a HUGE Surprise!

It's 11:25 p.m. as I start this post. This is a trip of a lifetime, but Tim and I are both a little bummed we're not in St. Louis right now. In just a few hours, the Blues take the ice. Man, if we win the Cup, what a celebration it will be. Neither of us will be awake at 3:00 a.m. when the game starts. In fact, we may not be awake the minute the game is over. Oh, I hope we win!

Meanwhile, back in Greece...this is my breakfast plate. That yogurt mousse I was talking about? It's in that cute little cup--I'll get it every morning. :)



Today, we wandered the streets and archaeological sites throughout the city, starting with the Temple of Zeus. From what we understand, this was the largest--or at least the tallest temple in the city. The scale was once again, massive, but I was most drawn to the fallen column. I took shots from lots of different angles--just another reminder of the things of this world that pass away I guess.












From there we crossed the street to the National Garden, meandering past Zappeion Hall and the fountain...


...under beautiful, shaded canopies...



...through rows of palm trees...




...to buy a pair of sandals! (Thanks, Alex Barton!) This "sandal maker to the stars" was actually pretty cool. Their are several different styles that are actually make a lot like Chacos--the leather straps can be pulled through the souls to custom fit your foot. Once the straps are in fitted to your foot, they are glued in place. I bought a pair. :)



From there we headed to the Agora. It funny what preconceived ideas you have about what something actually looks like. From The Acropolis yesterday, our tour guide pointed in a general region and told us it was the Agora. What I saw when she pointed was actually just one temple (shown two pictures down) that I imagined was a large "department store." When we got to the entrance of the site, I realized it was a large area of land where buildings once stood in addition to the temple. Again, a little Biblical reference--when Paul led into his sermon from the Aeropagus, he told us he had reasoned in the synagogue and the market place. This is where he reasoned:

The Agora

Temple of Hephaistos (on one side of The Agora)

Temple of Hephaistos (on one side of The Agora)

From the Agora, we walked back up to The Aeropagus (mentioned in previous post). I have to imagine that, while Paul's words were very direct, he also had a heart for the people. The homes and businesses that crowd the hillsides now are of different form, but people...well...we're pretty much still the same. :)


Looking out from The Aeropagus

Standing on The Aeropagus looking up to The Acropolis

We left there to grab a bite to eat. Tim said this was his favorite meal yet--souvlaki with yogurt sauce. Mine was pork souvlaki, which was also delicious!



From our late lunch, we were headed back to the hotel--the GPS was a little slow, so we missed a turn onto a busy street and decided to head up a quiet alley instead. As I looked up the alley, there were just a couple of people milling around at the top of the hill. We started walking up and I chuckled, turned to Tim and said, "Man, we had to miss the turn onto the flat, busy road and have to head up this hill!, instead." I turned my head back to the road and I hear, "Well, Amy Branson!" My response? "Cindy Cuba--no way!" 5,700 miles from home and I run into, on a relatively deserted backstreet, my friend and FACS teacher at Southwest Middle, Cindy Cuba. Crazy, I tell you. Just crazy! She and her daughter had been to Rome, Santorini and Mykonos, and now Athens. We chatted a few minutes about our trips and went on our way. I am still shaking my head!



We headed back to the hotel with the intention of getting back out to the actual highest point in Athens for a view of the city at dusk and sunset but needed to take care of a few things and didn't make it today (more for tomorrow). Walking (21,612 steps; 8.9 miles) in heat (upper 80s, low 90s) diminishes the appetite a bit, so by the time we headed home and got settled, we did not want dinner but something sweet to drink. Enter, the freddo cappuccino. Unfortunately, by the time we got to the place we chose (Yiasemi), they had stopped making that particular drink. I cannot get over how many restaurants, cafes, and tavernas there are in Athens. In addition to the high profile joints that are in the Plaka and other high visibility areas, they are tucked away in secluded alley ways, up steep streets and around every corner. I don't know how they all stay in business.

On the bottom half of this alley are three or four tiny cafes and restaurants, all with rooftop seating.


Freddo cappuccino

Freddo cappucinos came highly recommended by Yannis, our first taxi driver in Greece. The espresso was strong, and we went back for more sugar after a few sips. As I finish this post, it's 12:24 p.m...maybe I will stay up for the game. LET"S GO BLUES!

No comments: